Lately, this Instant Pot buckwheat recipe has been on repeat because it’s just so warming and delicious. It calls for dried ginger and ground cardamom – two baby friendly spices that warm digestion and soothe tummy troubles like gas or indigestion.
From the perspective of Chinese medicine, buckwheat “cools” intestinal inflammation. It can be especially good for diarrhea.
Bone marrow is my favorite fat for babies because it’s rich in heme iron, a brain-building mineral that’s in high demand during babyhood. Having bone marrow on hand – try freezing it in one tablespoon sized portions – is a great way to bump up the nutrition in a meal.
The amount of water used in this recipe makes the buckwheat sticky and porridge-like, which is easier for babies to eat.
If you want to add a nutty flavor and have time for an extra step, place buckwheat in a dry pan and toast before adding it to the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Buckwheat Recipe With Bone Marrow and Sour Cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup raw buckwheat
- 2 tablespoons dried, unsweetened cherries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup *optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- Whipped bone marrow
- Fill the Instant Pot insert with water.
- Add buckwheat, cherries, spices, and maple syrup (if using) into the Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid and make sure the pressure valve is sealed. Set on manual high for 8 minutes.
- Allow natural pressure release.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with bone marrow.